Sunday, July 24, 2011

Southwest Style: A Refreshing Challenge

When I first visited this job, the décor felt aged and weathered. I knew I had to stay true to the Southwest aesthetic of the home and the clients encouraged it. The scale and proportion of the great room is sizable but the miniscule fireplace wall looked out of place. After many conceptual drawings and meetings, the clients signed off and approved the vision I designed for them.

Once the demo began, I quickly realized that this project was going to challenge me. At the time, I had just completed a major re-design on a 5,000 sq. ft. house and I found the remodel project easier than this focal wall! Many detailed 6am jobsite meetings ensued to ensure that my vision was executed properly. The clients had an extraordinary collection of Southwest art and sculptures, therefore, I wanted the collection to be the star!



The fireplace wall was not the only area to receive a facelift. Firstly, thanks to Sherwin-Williams’ paint palette, the walls were brightened. Secondly, the lifeless carpet was torn out and replaced with knot-filled, hickory engineered wood. Thirdly, I strategically placed lighting to emphasis the beautiful finishes. Lastly, I designed custom furniture for the social butterflies (the Clients!). In the end, the Kravet fabrics helped to bring the room to life.

The project took about 8 weeks to complete. The clients and I are thrilled with the outcome☺.

With Love, Lina




No comments: